Subscribers! Add a note to this movie and/or put it into one of your private movie lists.
A man's life unravels after he comes into contact with an obscure book titled The Number 23. As he reads the book, he becomes increasingly convinced that it is based on his own life. His obsession with the number 23 starts to consume him, and he begins to realize the book forecasts far graver consequences for his life than he could have ever imagined.
Drama Thriller - This is not a Jim Carrey comedy but a fairly serious psychological
thriller. Violence and adult themes make the film inappropriate for
his kid fans. Those looking for something more horror-oriented will
Berardinelli, Internet CriticFull Review Average ...The Number 23 feels perfunctory and is developed in such a way that few people are likely to leave the theater satisfied.
Roger EbertFull Review Above Average BY BILL ZWECKER Sun-Times Columnist: (Roger is ill) A thriller like this needs to pack a lot of firepower on the backend. Unfortunately, all we get is a weak, much-anticipated little pop. Yet one thing's for sure. You will never think about the number 23 quite the same way again, once you realize all the different ways those two digits can be interpreted -- or misinterpreted.
USA TodayFull Review Below Average The Number 23 is an inane numbers game pretending to be a suspenseful psychological thriller. Not only is it not frightening, it's downright laughable.
Note: The rating
above is our interpretation of what the critic would give this movie based on
their review. We are not affiliated with these critic's in any way.
OPINION OVERVIEW The following is the original "What's Worth
Watching" write-up for this movie.
Based on a theater exit polling of 43 moviegoers:VERY MIXED OPINIONS!
TEENS:Approximately 75% of the males and females rated it high. The other 25% rated it average with just a few below average. Recommended.
TWENTYSOMETHINGS:About half of the males really enjoyed "The Number 23." The rest rated it average, which is still decent. The females enjoyed it even more. Over three-quarters rated it "Very Good" or higher. The remaining quarter rated it average. Recommended, but not highly.
ADULTS:There are just a few adults opinions and they aren't very good. Not recommended.
"All the characters in this book are fictitious, and anyone finding a resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, should proceed no further…”
Disclaimer from the novel The Number 23
Spiraling into a dark obsession with the number 23, Walter Sparrow (Jim Carrey) twists his once idyllic life into an inferno of psychological torture that could possibly lead to his death as well as the deaths of his loved ones. Spurred on by a mysterious novel, The Number 23, that he doesn't dare put down, Walter is forced to unlock the secrets of his past before he can continue his future with his wife, Agatha (Virginia Madsen), and teenage son, Robin (Logan Lerman).
The novel, given to Walter by Agatha as a birthday gift, depicts a chilling murder mystery that seems to mirror Walter's life in dark and uncontrollable ways. The life of the book's main character, a brooding detective named Fingerling (also played by Carrey), is filled with moments that echo Walter's own history. As the world of the book starts to come alive, Walter becomes infected by the most frightening and evocative part of it: Fingerling's obsession with the hidden power of the number 23.
This obsession permeates the book and begins to control Walter. He sees the number everywhere in his own life and becomes convinced that he is damned to commit the same horrific crime as Fingerling – murder. Nightmarish fantasies come to haunt Walter, ones that portend terrible fates for his wife as well as family friend Isaac French (Danny Huston), placing him on a desperate quest to understand the mysteries of the book.
If he can unlock the power behind the number 23, he may be able to change his future.