Berardinelli, Internet CriticFull Review Good Swing Vote is more subtle and insightful than the dumbed-down comedy the marketing campaign would have us believe it to be.
Roger EbertFull Review Good The movie is a genial comedy, but it has significant undertones.
USA TodayFull Review Above Average But this reasonably entertaining movie falters by trying to be both a dark comedy and a sentimental treatise on family and country. It takes a rare film to blend such disparate genres artfully. Dave came close, Swing Vote falls short of the mark.
Note: The rating
above is our interpretation of what the critic would give this movie based on
their review. We are not affiliated with these critic's in any way.
OPINION OVERVIEW The following is the original "What's Worth
Watching" write-up for this movie.
Based on a theater exit polling of 225 moviegoers:
TEENS:Male and female reviews are about the same, half enjoyed it very much and half rated it "Good/Average" or lower. So, you have about a 50/50 chance of truly enjoying "Swing Vote." Even if you don't feel it's great you'll likely feel it's, at least, an OK movie.
TWENTYSOMETHINGS:Almost great reviews. About 75% of both males and females loved "Swing Vote." The remaining 25% rated it as "Good/Average," which is a bit low but certainly not bad.
ADULTS:These are very good, but not quite great reviews. Females enjoyed it slightly more than males. About 75% enjoyed it very much rating it "Very Good, or higher. Unfortunately, there are slightly more "Good/Average," or lower reviews than I like to see, and a few actually disliked it.
Bud Johnson (KEVIN COSTNER) is
an apathetic, beer-slinging, lovable loser
who is coasting through a life that has
nearly passed him by. The one bright spot
is his precocious, overachieving 12-yearold
daughter Molly (MADELINE
CARROLL). She takes care of both of
them, until one mischievous moment on Election Day, when she accidentally sets off a chain
of events which culminates in the election coming down to one vote…her dad's.
Joining the cast are KELSEY GRAMMER as Republican incumbent President Andrew
Boone, and DENNIS HOPPER as Democratic hopeful Donald Greenleaf. NATHAN LANE
portrays Art Crumb, Greenleaf's Democratic campaign manager who has lost seven elections,
and STANLEY TUCCI plays Martin Fox, the slick campaign manager to the Republican
President. PAULA PATTON takes on the role of local small-town TV reporter Kate Madison,
who has aspirations for a big-time network news job, and GEORGE LOPEZ is her "seen-itall”
boss John Sweeney, who manages the local Texico, New Mexico, TV station.