Comedy - Like the first film, despite the presence of a teddy bear as a main
character, this is a very raunchy comedy aimed at young adults,
particularly males. Mila Kunis fans will be disappointed that she
does not return though the other original leads, Mark Wahlberg and
writer/director Seth MacFarlane, are also back. Constant language,
drug use, and sexual content and humor make this definitely not for kids.
PROFANITY: Well over 30 F-words; over 30 S-words; 7 GD's; many others. SEX/NUDITY: Sex and unrelated nudity. VIOLENCE: Fights played for laughs. DRUGS/ALCOHOL: Lots of alcohol and marijuana. ACTION: Comic fights and chases. COMEDY: Constant raunchy sight gags and banter, often involving a teddy bear; drug humor.
Roger EbertFull Review Below Average While the first film offered, by my casual recollection, almost two dozen belly laughs, this one barely registers four. ...whatever goodwill the movie scored based on sentimental value or the few effective jokes in the front end is entirely spent by the end credits.
USA TodayFull Review Average Ted 2 locks into a nice groove whenever it's just Ted and John being buds (and smoking bud), and Seyfried actually adds to the chemistry. If only the nonstop parade of craziness and lack of story coherence around them wasn't so hard to bear.
NY PostFull Review Above Average "Ted 2" has so many moments of crazy brilliance that I laughed a lot, if infrequently. MacFarlane can leave no joke behind. If he had cut out the worst 30 minutes, "Ted 2" might have been great.
Rolling StoneFull Review Above Average Audiences made Ted one of the highest-grossing R-rated comedies ever. They'll do it again with Ted 2 because even when MacFarlane pushes too hard and long, he keeps the jokes gut-busting and laced with satirical bite.
Note: The rating
above is our interpretation of what the critic would give this movie based on
their review. We are not affiliated with these critic's in any way.
OPINION OVERVIEW The following is the original "What's Worth
Watching" write-up for this movie.
Based on a theater exit polling of 95 moviegoers:
Since there are no low reviews, it's obvious that everyone knew, this time, that "TED 2" is NOT a kids movie.
TEENS: All the males loved "Ted 2." The female reviews are also very high with just over half loving it and another quarter enjoying it very much.
TWENTYSOMETHINGS: Sixty-percent of both the males and females loved "Ted 2." Unfortunately, most of the remaining reviews only indicate an "average" movie (enjoyable but nothing special or memorable). So, chances are you will either loved it or think it's an OK movie.
ADULTS: Sixty-percent of the males loved it, 10% more rated it "above average" and the remaining 30% felt it was an "average" movie. Over 80% of the ladies loved "Ted 2." The remaining 20%, or so, felt it was an "average" movie.
In the years since we last saw John and Ted, they're
both still living the dream in Boston. Although John is
now a bachelor, Ted has settled down with Tami-Lynn,
the trashy woman of his dreams. As marital problems
begin to affect the newlyweds, Ted and Tami-Lynn
decide to have a baby in order to save their marriage.
Their hopes are crushed when the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts declares Ted to be not a person,
but property, and therefore ineligible to adopt. He is
fired from his job at the grocery store and summarily
informed that his marriage has been annulled.
Angry and dejected, Ted channels his frustration and asks his best pal to
help him sue the state and win him the rights that he deserves. They enlist a
young, medical-marijuana aficionada named Samantha L. Jackson (AMANDA SEYFRIED) as their lawyer and head to court. But when
Ted loses his case, the three must venture on a road trip
to New York in a last-ditch effort to persuade legendary
civil rights attorney Patrick Meighan (Oscar winner MORGAN FREEMAN) to take on their appeal. If
they win, they will prove that Ted is not just a beer-swilling,
pot-infused stuffed teddy bear, but actually a
person who deserves the same freedoms as any other
beer-swilling, pot-infused American.