Subscribers! Add a note to this movie and/or put it into one of your private movie lists.
With the town of Rose Creek under the deadly control of industrialist Bartholomew Bogue, the desperate townspeople employ protection from seven outlaws, bounty hunters, gamblers and hired guns. As they prepare the town for the violent showdown that they know is coming, these seven mercenaries find themselves fighting for more than money.
Action Western - While sharing a title, time period, and some basic plot elements from
the 1960 western of the same name, this is not so much a faithful
remake of it than a loose, more modern style action film take on the
basic premise. While also still an ensemble film, fans of Denzel
Washington and Chris Pratt will have the most to enjoy here, for
other familiar actors such as Ethan Hawke, Vincent D'Onofrio, and
especially Peter Sarsgaard have much smaller roles. Despite the
PG-13 rating, this is still a very violent film, so parental
discretion is strongly advised.
PROFANITY: 7 S-words; 6 GD's; a few others. SEX/NUDITY: None. VIOLENCE: Shootings and killings with moderate blood. DRUGS/ALCOHOL: Alcohol and tobacco. ACTION: Shootouts, chases, explosions. COMEDY: Banter and wisecracks.
Berardinelli, Internet CriticFull Review Average If there's a compelling reason to remake The Magnificent Seven, it can't be found in the 2016 version, a loud, cluttered, and generally disappointing production. This The Magnificent Seven has the dour ending without the high points preceding it. With two better versions of this story readily available, why bother with this mediocre re-telling?
Roger EbertFull Review Average Rarely have so many charismatic actors been used in a film that feels quite as soulless as Antoine Fuqua's update of "The Magnificent Seven.” It's one of those projects that should work on paper. The cast is perfectly assembled...
USA TodayFull Review Average ...like a long-fused stick of dynamite: It takes forever to get interesting but does at least unleash an explosive finale. Even with more than two hours of screen time, though, character development doesn't get a seat at the saloon.
NY PostFull Review Good Denzel Washington makes a belated but splendid debut as a Western hero in Antoine Fuqua's action-packed, multicultural re-imagining of John Sturges' 1960 semi-classic,...
Note: The rating
above is our interpretation of what the critic would give this movie based on
their review. We are not affiliated with these critic's in any way.
OPINION OVERVIEW The following is the original "What's Worth
Watching" write-up for this movie.
Based on a theater exit polling of 128 moviegoers:
TEENS: Four males loved "The Magnificent Seven" and the remaining five rated it "above average," which indicates they enjoyed it very much. As for the females, one loved it and two rated it "above average."
TWENTYSOMETHINGS: Three males loved it and one enjoyed it very much. All four of the ladies loved "The Magnificent Seven."
ADULTS: Great Reviews from the guys! Nearly 80% loved it with the remaining 20% rating it "above average." The female reviews aren't quite as high as the males but close. About 65% loved it with another 25% rating it "above average." Only 10% rated it as low as "average" (enjoyable but nothing special or memorable).